Delma Peralta- The public speaker's corner


The Public Speakers Corner 

When words take center stage 


Trouble in public speaking paradise  

Public speaking – two words that have the power to strike terror into the hearts of many, including myself. As someone who prefers on occasion's to shy away from the limelight, the thought of standing before an audience, baring my thoughts, and attempting to sway them with my words is daunting. As I entered the classroom for my SPC2608 course, I could not help but feel a sense of dread wash over me. Public speaking was never my forte, Unfortunately, my academic journey had other plans for me, and here I was, facing a semester filled with presentations on assorted topics. Life often throws us into situations where we must endure and, occasionally, participate in public speaking engagements. 

Where the presentations enjoyable? 


50/50. I loved the presentations. I love to listen to various people speak so passionately about diverse topics. The presentations made by other groups really opened you up to the other topics in the book; Ispeak: Improve your speech credibility by Nelson & Titsworth. I think without these presentations we would know the minimum of the book as typically other classes don’t actually need the course material. The presentations gave great insight into outlines, how to organize presentations, how to use your voice effectively etc. Now, the other 50, I did not enjoy the presentations because I knew as more groups passed then it would be my groups turn to present. As the presentation day arrived, I could feel my heart racing and my palms sweating. It seemed like every eye in the zoom room was on me. I fumbled through my carefully prepared slides, my voice wavering. I could feel my face reddening, and my thoughts scattering like autumn leaves in the wind. I did not want to present; I mean who even likes to present in school? When it comes to the thought of me presenting, that is not enjoyable. To me the whole assignment just felt elusive because I will never truly need to “Publicly speak.” Throughout the class I just find myself grappling with fear telling myself “OMG I hope there is not another presentation.” For me it was just another repetitive assignment. I love the class, but the assignments sometimes are not so much.  


Organizing the body of the presentation 

My task was to talk about determining the order of the main points and why you should incorporate supporting materials. In the next few paragraphs, I will talk about my deeper understandment on these types of outlines.  

To begin with, spatial relation patterns required me to organize my presentation based on physical or geographical relationships. The spatial relation pattern is a way of organizing information in a presentation based on the physical or spatial arrangement of elements. This pattern is particularly useful when you want to describe how things are positioned or related to each other in a specific space or location. This was a struggle for me as it felt like a departure from the conventional linear structure, I was more familiar with. I had to adapt to a new way of thinking and presenting information, which took considerable effort and practice. The fear of getting lost within my own presentation loomed large in my mind during these attempts. 

Cause and effect patterns of organization can move from cause to effect or from effect to cause. The cause-and-effect pattern is a way of organizing information that explains the causes that lead to a particular effect or the effects that result from a specific cause. This pattern is used to explore the relationships between events, actions, and to help the audience or reader understand why something happens and what consequences it produces. while more linear in structure, also presented challenges. I had to clearly articulate how one event led to another, which required in-depth research and a clear understanding of the subject matter. My reluctance stemmed from the fear of oversimplifying complex cause-and-effect relationships or losing my audience in a sea of details. 

Topical sequence patterns demanded that I arrange my content logically. This pattern is a highly versatile organizational pattern, it simply divides up a topic into related parts. The main points of this pattern must relate to each other; you cannot just throw information into it. usually following a specific order or sequence. This was the most comfortable format for me, but even then, the pressure of keeping my audience engaged and ensuring smooth transitions weighed heavily on my mind. 

The problem-solution pattern pushed me out of my comfort zone as I had to identify a problem, propose a solution, and support my claims with credible evidence. The problem-solution pattern is a method of organizing information in a presentation or essay where you first present a specific problem or challenge and then follow it with one or more proposed solutions or recommendations. This format requires a deep understanding of the topic and the ability to convey urgency and relevance effectively. As a reluctant speaker, the fear of not being persuasive enough gnawed at me. 

Monroe's motivated sequence was another mountain to climb. This pattern required me to capture my audience's attention, establish the need for my message, present a satisfying solution, visualize the benefits of my proposal, and conclude with a call to action. It was a comprehensive structure that, while effective, felt like a tightrope walk between engagement and overwhelming the audience. 

Incorporating supporting material was a constant challenge in all these patterns. What it is used for is to help clarify, validate, or illustrate the information you are presenting and make your argument more compelling. The main points create only the skeleton of the body of the presentation. Incorporating supporting materials in a presentation or essay involves using diverse types of evidence, examples, data, and information to reinforce your main points and enhance the credibility and persuasiveness of your content. Finding and using relevant data, examples, and anecdotes to strengthen my points was time-consuming and often led to anxiety about the credibility of my sources. 


In the end 

Throughout the course, my reluctance to speak in public remained a constant companion. The anxiety leading up to each presentation was palpable, and I often found myself questioning whether I had made the right decision to enroll in this course. But as the weeks passed, I began to realize that my reluctance was not a barrier but a challenge to overcome. In facing these challenges head-on, I discovered that with practice, preparation, and dedication, I could improve my public speaking skills. While I may never become a natural orator, I have gained valuable experience in structuring presentations, incorporating supporting materials effectively, and, most importantly, pushing my own boundaries. Despite all my reservations and fears about public speaking, the experience, albeit nerve-wracking, taught me valuable lessons. It highlighted the importance of effective communication and the need to confront our fears to grow as individuals. Though I may never love public speaking, I now understand its significance and am determined to improve. The various organizational patterns and incorporation of supporting material added layers of complexity to an already intimidating task. However, this experience also pushed me out of my comfort zone and forced me to confront my fears. While I may not have become a public speaking enthusiast overnight, I have gained a newfound appreciation for the art of communication and a determination to overcome my anxieties in the future. 

Comments

  1. I certainly hope you will enjoy the rest of the semester. Great post. I loved your honesty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Reflection on Public Speaking - Yaelis Pena

Presentation/ public speaking review

Tosha VanMeter