Blog 2 AI presentations-Tosha VanMeter


What is Artificial Intelligence (AI)?
        It is the science of making machines/technology that can think like humans. AI has begun to be normalized and even desired in society. While it may be of benefit to some aspects of our daily lives, is it all too good to be true?

        Some say AI can be traced all the way back to classical philosophers. These philosophers attempted to describe human thinking as a symbolic system. But it was not formally introduced until 1955 at Dartmouth college in New Hampshire, where the term artificial intelligence was coined.  
    
       While AI has been around longer than most people would have thought it really hasn't come to light until recently. Here are two timelines on artificial intelligence and how it has advanced until the early 2000's.
        For our presentations each group was given two subjects to research and make a power point on to present to the class. The subjects were sports, economy, mental health, education, social life and careers.  
Group 3
        The subjects were mental health and careers. First, they went over careers. What I found interesting about artificial intelligence and careers was the different types of jobs that are available for artificial intelligence. There are many upcoming careers that will involve artificial intelligence that I also find interesting and never knew about.  I also find it
 interesting that it will be very hard for government to police artificial intelligence. I feel that we should not go any further in artificial intelligence when it comes to careers especially in the law aspect as seeing they cannot really police it. 

I do find it interesting that artificial intelligence may be able to help the police do their jobs, but I also feel that it could take away some of the jobs in the traffic aspect for the police. I go to the veteran's affairs hospital and noticed that they are using artificial intelligence to deliver medications with a robot that is programmed on where to take it to instead of having a pharmacist or technician deliver it personally.
            
            The second subject they did was over mental health. I was shocked to hear that the suicide rates for ages 15-29 rated second globally for mental health reasons. But I wonder how many of those are veterans. But mental health is lagging even when it comes to artificial intelligence due to there is nothing like human interaction when it comes to artificial intelligence. 

        Honestly in my opinion I feel like artificial intelligence should not be used to try to help with artificial intelligence. But they explained that artificial intelligence is good at calculating risk factors and analyze people to try to reduce the risk of certain problems. What I
 found interesting though is that artificial intelligence can be detrimental to our mental health due to decreased face to face and increase in self-isolation due to becoming dependent on artificial intelligence.

Group 2
            Our subjects were sports and economics. First were sports. I was extremely shocked to find out that artificial intelligence has been around a lot longer than I had thought it had been. I did not know anything about the tennis ball cameras they had been using for a very long time. They now use it for football and other sports as well. I found this subject very interesting in figuring out how artificial intelligence helps us figure out ways to reduce injuries as well.

            The second subject was economics. Some believe that artificial intelligence will take over some jobs and leave people without one. While learning on this subject and realizing that it just isn't true. Artificial intelligence may take some jobs, but it will also be helpful in others. It will also create more jobs than not in my opinion. The jobs may be more computer based and require for people to go to additional schooling but for me I think it would be worth it.
Group 1 
        Group 1's subjects were education and social life. First, they went over education. I think that they did a great job in presenting their subject over education. Although I personally did not think that artificial intelligence had a lot to do with education, they informed me that I was very wrong. Artificial intelligence will lower the cost of schooling and more loan forgiveness will be available.

            The second topic was social life or also known as "fun". Artificial intelligence has evolved with time in the aspect of fun. Siri is now available and if you ask her a question like where this club is or bar, she will tell you in a second. If you ask her to play music or tell a joke she can also do that. 
Conclusion
            Overall, I think all groups did well at informing how artificial intelligence has impact on our everyday lives. How it could impact in the future and how it has evolved over the years that have passed. I look forward to seeing how the outcome will be over the next few years or along my lifetime.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Reflection on Public Speaking - Yaelis Pena

Presentation/ public speaking review

Tosha VanMeter